Develop your garden vision–start small, but leave room to grow. The critical first step in garden planning is identifying your vision for this new addition. Whether you are imagining just a few containers or a more permanent installation, you need a starting plan. A modest start with the possibility of future expansion is a good place to begin. And don’t forget to include the students in the planning! You want the students to be a part of this project right from the start. Here are some important questions you will need to answer:
- How many children/classrooms will participate?
- Do you want an in–ground or container garden?
- Who will be responsible for maintenance?
- How will you fund the start–up and long–term process?
- Who is your Garden Team?
- What is the role of parent and community volunteers?